Monday, April 2, 2012

27, My Favorite Year So Far



Today I read an article that said that old age begins at 27. Read it here. My first thought was "Man, I misplace my keys at least twice a day, it must be true." My second thought however was "Are you kidding me?" followed by a few eye rolls. I loved (a very sarcastic love) that the picture they used for this article was one of Beyonce with a caption saying the she is "past her mental peak." Maybe I'm being rediculous, but did Beyonce have an amazing mental capablilty before she was 27? That was rude, sorry...but come on, they chose to use Beyonce!?! Anyway, my point is that I love being 27! I am happier, more confident, and am learning more about life than ever before. If this is what "old" age is, then BRING IT ON.

Here are just a few reasons why I have loved being 27.

1. I became an aunt! My little brother Neal and his wife, Becca, had a little girl named Lydia. Being an aunt is wonderful! Sure, I would love to be married and have my own little girl, but until that happens, bring on the nieces and nephews!




2. I'm realizing more and more every day that I dont want to be "normal," I want to be myself. I want to be quirky, a little nerdy, and even obnoxiously optimistic. Hey, if Flo can do it, so can I.


3. My friend Kami and I went back to El Salvador (that's where I served my mission) for the dedication of the temple. We also went to Costa Rica and Nicaragua to visit some of our friends. It was wonderful. It was exactly what I needed spiritually, mentally and emotionally.




4. I bought this little beauty! A 2012 Ford Focus. Candy-apple RED. Buying it was very unlike me. I'm usually very frugal and logical about big purchases....but then I thought WHY NOT? I bought it, and love everything about it. I'll just blame "old age" for effecting my sense of reason.



Recently I have thought a lot about the quote by Joseph B Wirthlin, "Come what may and LOVE IT." Believing/following that has made all the difference for me this year.



Joseph B Wirthlin said that when he was 91 years old...."27 is the peak of a persons mental capacity"....?.... I don't believe a word of it.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

THIS IS WHY I LOVE STEPHANIE "OLD LADY" JOHNSON.

Don't worry. I found wisdom at 30. It's still out there.

Katherine said...

Dearest Stephanie,
I L.O.V.E. YOU!!!!! seriously, for reals! :o)

Bri & Em said...

Oh steph! I just love your posts! I'm so glad I can be uplifted and inspired when I read your blog. I just love ya tons! Good luck with that garden and lets get together this summer!

Parker & Kelsey said...

Steph !!! great posts we just love to see what's happening in your life. Your great attitude inspires us. Can't wait to see you........ eventually :)

Chandykendrick said...

Steph I love this blog on 27. Its great!! love you. lets do lunch soon! :)